Skip to main content

Niche Professional Organizers - Interview with Annette Adamska

Niche Professional Organizers


Welcome to the first in our series of interviews with Professional Organizers focusing on their unique niche. 

This month we interviewed Annette Adamska of Back Up Your Life.



Anne:  Annette, Why did you become a professional organizer?
Annette:  Quite simply, I wanted to help people.
Longer version: I realized that my skill setinnate and professionalfocused on helping people understand their needs, and then working with them to achieve their goals and “get it done”. I began my career as a stage manager in the theater, and the theme of helping people around me achieve a greater goal has remained consistent.
Anne:  As a Professional Organizer, your unique niche is in helping others organize their life and legacy.  What suggestions do you have for those that feel overwhelmed by this task?
Annette: First, take a deep breath! There are so many facets to life and legacy organizing, it is totally normal to get overwhelmed. Take a deep breath, and a pause, and don’t get discouraged.
Secondly, talk about it! I think it’s an incredible disservice that our society doesn’t talk about end of life care, or wishes, or what’s important to us as we age. As Benjamin Franklin said, “There is nothing guaranteed except death and taxes.” By sharing our core values and wishes with our loved ones, they can make the best decisions for us when the time comes. Medicine can be so wonderful in so many ways—but it begs the question of: “What does quality of life mean to you?” Everyone has a different answer, which is totally OK. It’s about understanding what your priorities are, and making sure that others know them as well.
Lastly: Find trusted advisors to speak with. A good estate attorney and financial planner are key to understanding exactly what you need to have in place, and how to best do it. Remember: we all have our specialties, and the experts will be able to answer questions you have and respond to your scenario. Knowledge really is power; power to understand what the estate and probate laws mean for you, in the state or country you live in.
Anne:  Why did you decide to specialize in life and legacy organizing?
Annette:  I saw a need, and I’m trying to fill it. In 2015, my mother had a catastrophic accident while traveling overseas that left her paralyzed. She died three and a half months later.
There are many products/ways that people can get their lives in order (much like organizing), but I think the human connection is missing. So having a dedicated organizer shepherd you through the process—and facilitating the uncomfortable conversations—is helpful for many people to move forward and close those loops. Quite simply, my work is to help people plan for what matters.
Anne: What would you advise your client to do as the first step in life and legacy organizing if they haven’t done anything?
Annette:  If you haven’t done anything, your first step should be to fill out your state's advanced health directive/medical proxy form. Many of us will likely have an unexpected medical event pop up; having the information written ensures that your wishes are known, even if you aren’t able to speak for yourself. CaringInfo has links to the advance directive form for each state, if you’d like to check it out!
Anne:  What is your most surprising discovery about working with clients on their life and legacy organization?
Annette:  How much they realize that not having done this work has weighed on them! There is a real sense of space and openness that comes from going through this process. It’s an opportunity for someone to really consider if they are living their lives in according to their values. It’s incredible to be a part of the process.
Anne:  What has been your personal challenge with organizing your life and legacy?
Annette:  After managing my mother’s estate and all of her personal belongings, I found it surprisingly straightforward to document what different people will receive in the event of my death. What was much more challenging was thinking of a situation where my husband either precedes me, or we die at the same time, and how (and who) would manage our respective estates. (Hoping that’s not the case, but one that needs to be covered!) It led to interesting conversations about our priorities and the wishes for our respective legacies.
Not only did I have an opportunity to evaluate where I’d like my charitable giving to go, but it also led me to add notes for my friends who are beneficiaries in my will. Most of them are to the effect of: “At least half must be used for fantastic travel.” Of course, the receivers of the funds are in no way obligated to actually do that, but them knowing me so well means that I know they would at least consider it!
Anne:  Do you have any information or product that professional organizers can share with their clients?

Annette:  The Conversation Project: A non-profit dedicated to helping people talk about their wishes for end-of-life care. CaringInfo (mentioned above).  Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande; truly wonderful book that I wish was required reading.

I also am a huge proponent of fire safes! It gives your documents the best chance of surviving a fire or flood, is locked against theft, and some models can be bolted to the floor. In addition, if you are home and either need to grab and go with your most important documents, due to a medical emergency or evacuation, you can!

Anne:  Annette, thank you so much for sharing your unique organizing niche it is truly a service that can benefit everyone.  What is the best way to connect with you?

FacebookLinkedInInstagram, and of course my Website or via email, annette@letsbackupyourlife.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grow Your Business - Writing

Never in my wildest dreams did I dream of being a published author, because I didn’t think I had the skills to write a book. This is why I did write a book . From 2009 to 2011 professional organizers in the United States were in make-or-break years. In 2008 and 2009, the United States labor market lost 8.4 million jobs. People were cutting out all discretionary expenses, and that included professional organizing services. My phone was not ringing, and people were not signing up for my webinars, online training, or live seminars. Many professional organizers left the industry because they were experiencing the same and needed to find employment to pay their bills. Or, if they did not provide the primary source of income for their family and that person lost his or her job, they now needed to find a way to have a steady income. Interestingly though, many people who lost their jobs and couldn’t find employment wanted to start their own business. They had time on their hands and

5 Critical Mistakes to Avoid Working with Clients

Mistake #1 – ORGANIZING FOR YOURSELF AND NOT YOUR CLIENT You love to organize and you even have fun organizing your friends or family members. What about organizing a complete stranger’s kitchen or garage? Will you be able to really listen and seek to understand what ‘organized’ looks and feels like for each client. There are a variety of personality types, barriers to organizing, and mental health issues to navigate and understand to successfully organize others. Working with clients who are chronically disorganized, who have ADHD, or who hoard requires specialized training and experience. Layer 1 training will introduce you to challenging clients and resources for obtaining training and skills to work with them. You will also learn how to organize every space in a home including the typical habits that cause disorganization, how to create organized zones, product solutions to aid organization, new habits to maintain organization, and the estimated time to organize. PLUS thr

Professional Organizers are Starting Their Career Younger!

Blessing McKenzie I had the fantastic opportunity to have Blessing McKenzie, a high school Junior, job shadow me yesterday.     Blessing is considering a career as a professional organizer!     I think that speaks volumes to where our industry is headed.     She also interviewed me for her school project and agreed to let me blog about her questions and my answers. What are some of the biggest challenges that you face for this job? If you are a business owner, I would say the biggest challenge you face is finding clients, or rather clients finding you.  That’s the simple answer.  The fact is, the biggest problem is having the education and experience to work with chronically disorganized (CD) clients. What is one thing that surprised you about this career? What surprised me about this career was discovering people are chronically disorganized rather than situationally disorganized.  When I first started my career, I thought I would be organizing people’s things in a more or